One of the recipes I made at Christmas time called for 1/4 cup of condensed milk which left me about 3/4 of a can of condensed milk. Now, clearly this isn’t a problem because there are a number of recipes that use condensed milk. The only problem is the can sat in my fridge covered saran for about a week, taunting me and asking to be added to tea and coffee.
I pulled up the first recipe that popped up on the Eagle Brand website, Magic Cookie Bars.
1. This is a great recipe. It is super quick, easy and uses very little dishes. I melted my butter in a big bowl, that I then mixed my graham cracker crackers in. I used a total of 5 dishes – a bowl, a spoon, a baking dish, and two different sized measuring cups.
2. Lots of chocolate, lots of coconut. Lots of yum. The magic comes from (no, not any type of drugs) the condensed milk – anything with condensed milk is going to be delicious and magic. Oh and love, love is part of the magic…
3. I think these would also be delicious with some dried cranberries, or butterscotch bits.
4. I don’t understand the “cookie” part of these squares – the bottom of these bars is just graham cracker crumbs and butter… not really a cookie but delicious. I think this is just a misnomer. We will just call them ‘Magic Bars.’
5. This recipe is definitely a “make again, as soon as possible” recipe. One of my co-workers called me after eating one and said, “Don’t take this the wrong way but I’m glad I don’t sit beside you.” Yes – if you have the pleasure to sit beside me at work, or even just work with me in general, expect to gain a pound or two.